Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Call it the Obama Hangover

Whew!!! I am still reeling from the Obama's victory these past weeks. It was strange, I never felt far away from it all happening. Every newspaper in Australia had at least 7-8 articles a day leading up to the election and then has continued this trend even to this day. I was able to take it all in from my friend's flat in Bondi. It was a surreal setting, daylight, the beach with surfer's, who cared more about the monstrous wave the was in the next set then the monstrous election at hand, peaceful and uneventful streets with the normal pace of traffic. All seemed out of place as I watched the election transpire. I was overwhelmed by the victory, but in a strange way, I am still not drawn back to States. I find it awesome that I can now defend the States with the trump: yeah, but we elected Obama. However in a reversal of how I felt when Bush was elected, pledging to leave the States, I am not booking that ticket back. I feel the stronger desire to stay abroad and transform the antipathy felt towards the United States. Now, don't think I am going to go out and become this vocal activist stumping the States somewhere in Guatemala. His election has affirmed my belief that hopefully the US is in able hands. I did not feel anymore patriotic than before ( I have always knew where I came from without being ashamed), I just feel proud of the country for shedding so much dead weight and being able to move on.
The circle back around what I find most interesting throughout this election was Australia's coverage. The talk leading up to the election was about Obama, the talk after the election was Obama. The coverage and simple everyday conversations, for me, pointed to the fact that Australia is much more closely linked to the US, culturally and economically then its mother England. The potential dismissal of Gordon Brown in England has not generated any speculation. The funny thing is that people see here and I suppose this is the pulse of the States, that Obama is the end solution. I have heard out here that Obama is the greatest president ever. Interesting statement since Obama hasn't even taken a sip from his "World's Greatest President" coffee mug.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mariana showed me your blog today... quite entertaining to say the least. I just read the newest two about your rash and about Obama. I'm glad you still love Australia but are you that surprised they love America? I really got that feeling when I was there a year ago. Every country was hooting and hollering about Obama's win though. Why is it? Well Africa thinks that because he's half african that maybe he'll throw loads of support their way. Maybe Australians think their getting a chunk of the support too. I know that Burlington, VT celebrated bigger than when the red sox beat the yankees 4 years ago! Any who... I hope all is well and maybe I'll run into your on your travels again.
best,
Cristina Fiallos