Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pass me the the goverment red tape please

Man, the amount of things to do before an actual life move is absolutely collasal. Sam and I have completed about half of our tasks, but there is so much more to get through- we got a huge yard sale coming up on the 7th of February. If any of you need a fridge, just let me know, we are selling it cheap. As I said, we got our visas all set, as in we went to the consulate. Now, the difference between Sam's experience and my experience is so drastic it is unbelievable. Our meat deli number was called after an hour and we both went to our Indian visa representative. He asked for our passports and pertinent pre-organized documents. Lets us break down Sam's experience now:
The representative asked for her application and passport. Stamped it and asked for 90 dollars as a fee for processing the visa. He then proceeded to tell her that it would be ready in three days. Sam done.

Alex's experience: I will break it down in monetary segments
Representative looks at Alex: 10 dollars
Representative touches Alex's US passport: 15 dollars
Alex speaks with US accent: 10 dollars
Application ok, but need to fill out three other applications which essentially reiterate all information on first application: 15 dollars
Representative informs Alex that it will take 15-1000000 days to process application and other superfluous papers: 15 dollars
Visa: 120 dollars
Alex fined for objecting to extra costs: 20 dollars
Alex leaves, bewildered and unhappy, exiting the Indian consulate: 30 dollars

I realize that we impose hard measures against tourists and immigrants coming into our country, but geez, the this seems like taking a step beyond reciprocity. This happened when I tried to get into China. I don't understand, the Euro is so much stronger than our dollar. Why wouldn't they extort the money from these countries rather than from us.
All in all, I am waiting for my visa to be processed and given the green light while absolutely fuming I only have 100 dollars to my name now. In the meantime, Sam and I are continuing to cross off "things to-do"on out checklist. Only two weeks to go.

2 comments:

JGB said...

Countries generally have reciprocity on visa regulations. If India is giving you the curry-covered shaft on visas, you can bet it's because the US makes it difficult for Indian citizens to get into the States.

If the Indians are willing to let Ozzies in an un-bureaucratic fashion, the red tape is clearly not out of necessity. Not that that makes it any better, but I think it's really got more to do with US-India / Oz-India relations than you being an Ugly Mug and Sam being Sam.

JGB said...

Update!