Thursday, September 25, 2008

On the side of the road

Well.... Everything in the past two years has made me believe that immigration issues could not effect this traveler. I have had one issue before trying to depart Chile and get to Argentina. It was a 6 a.m flight and I had the brilliant idea (done by many, many people) to stay up all night and just roll to the airport. I forgot my student card, which I needed to leave, and this proved to be my undoing. This card, turns out, was more important than my actual information contained in Chilean immigration computadoras or my passport. We almost missed our plane as my reaction was, how shall we say it, less than diplomatic. Thanks to some fast (and soothing) talking by one of my friends, we boarded on time. This would be the last problem I would encounter while traveling. Now, I am waiting in the US for my Australian visa to be processed and there is a possibility that it will take awhile. I would love to be an immigration official, or for that matter a plumber, electrician, any household appliance repairman, only for the fact that you can give huge gaps in time when the contracted task will be completed. My visa, to be processed, might take 2 days or 4 weeks, or I'll be at your house between 8 am on Tuesday and 10 pm Sunday. If you leave the house (or enter the country) and we come, the whole process starts over again. So now I am leaving for sunny California and waiting there for who knows, 3 days, 1 week, till the rest of my hair falls off (which could be tomorrow, so here is to hope). Welcome to my blog, which coincidentally is a lot like others blogs. My purpose for this blog is kinda of written journal of my time in Australia, and then my travels with Sam, my girlfriend, to India and to somewhere in Latin America. It serves as a James Joyceian (not a word, but work with me) personal platform to inform you about me, cultural experiences, exciting places to go, thoughts and feelings on being abroad...well you get the idea. An electronic global footprint, so to speak. Also it serves as a place to read about me, without having to send one of those pesky emails, thereby allowing you (the reader) to expend the least amount of energy in contacting me.
I guess my real purpose is to hopefully stimulate a travel bug within you and go out to visit me or just go anywhere. Incredibly enough, working at a bar allows me a large window of time to be online so I will be able to update this pretty regularly. As for now though, picture me with a sign that reads "Australia or Bust" sitting on my luggage on some dusty road, ready for the adventure to begin.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you working at a bar or are you writing at the computer (that, is working at writing) at a bar? Bartending is a good interim job given your circumstances and CA is not a bad place to wait for a visa. Give yourself "X" amount of time for the visa and then make alterntive plans visa-wise. BTW, Joycean is a perfectly good adjective.

Unknown said...

You should wait for your visa to be processed in CO... I just thought of that all on my own. What a great idea. You can wait for your visa, all the while traveling!!!! AND at the same time you can see your good friend Mariana and we'll throw Morgan in there too. I like your blog. Can't wait to read more entries. Btw... great play on words for the title of this entry... can they all have witty titles like that?