Monday, April 6, 2009

Final Musings

This is the final indo-instalment for this mini publication. I am writing with complete equanimity since we leave tonight. While there will be countless other tales, tribulations and achievements, the chapter on India is closed. It is true what the locals say, "In India, anything is possible:" You can drive down the wrong side of the road, buy anything, do anything; but as the shopkeeper in Jodhpur stated "Indians have not digested foreigners yet." There seems to be a window that is closed to us. We are experiencing the veneer of Indian life, but only in small doses. As for the main recipe of Indian culture and society, this will always be locked away. That is what the culture dictates, travelers are yet to be positioned Indian social stratification. I believe, that it will never happen. Although India, on the surface, appears to be an open book, what I have seen is that they are fiercely wary of outside influence, only reluctantly accepting foreign interest.
Presently, Delhi did not get a fair shake from us. We arrived in the capital city rundown, sick and weary. I believe that things would have been different if we knew that there were two weeks more to travel and we had to soldier on, but the reality of leaving was much to strong to continue the facade of !ncredible !ndia. This is not a condemnation of our travels, quite the contrary, we have enjoyed our time here immensely. We have learned more about each other- our likes, dislikes, aspirations and pitfalls. All of these have been thrown into the fire that is traveling and that is India and the outcome is a sheen welding of strength and understanding. Moreover, we have gained valuble insight on what makes Indian society tick.
From the outset, I will apologize with you all. This blog will lack the coherent, clarity and cohesive components that my other blogs have remotely displayed. This is quite apropos to being here in India where these three C's, when applied to everyday activities, are in limited- almost extinct- supply.
Even before touching down in India, the trip began with Sam and her meticulous planning almost two years ago. She had always harboured dreams of going, finding enlightenment and reliving the traveler's life free from want and desire. Her aspirations to travel were ostensibly shelved due to her inhumane work schedule and other time commitments- and I would like to think meeting me was a larger factor. I, on the other hand, knew that India was spelled I N D I A and that was basically my background. It was not until I traveled to China that my focus was redirected really to India as a destination. One traveler succinctly stated that "if I thought China is crazy, wait till you see India." There it was: the seed of adventure, mystery and fear was planted.
I do agree, as does Sam, with this statement from this clairvoyant traveler; India, as many travelers bemoan or exalt, is frustratingly crazy: the gamut of emotions ranging from elation, sadness, animosity, understanding, obstinacy, withdrawal, desire and acceptance. A mosaic of feelings that usually are experienced before mid-day. As for coming here, I believe that we were searching for that essence of India that we heard so much about: attainment of enlightenment. However, I have felt nothing of the sort. What I do feel is more battle hardened, a crafty veteran of travel, which could be enlightenment. India provokes your deepest sensations and forces you to "come alive," so to speak. I was aware of my sphere of consciousness the entire time I traveled here: constantly on guard- good and bad- and entirely enveloped by all senses at once. As Wayne, my English friend aptly said, "India is like running a gauntlet."It forces you to interact on a daily basis. I found this deeply troubling sometimes since my interaction invariably involved people in poverty or people who just wanted money from case and point. In no way does my six weeks provide me with an insider's scope to what it is like to be in India. I realize we traveled the well beaten path by many and our experience was inexorably a traveler's experience on the tourist path where these dealings with the aforementioned characters occur on a regular basis. Yet, this does not weaken my perspective or make my time here worthless. Our trip opened the debate to being human, interacting on the human level. It is hard to shun a three year beggar under the auspices that giving two rupees only furthers their dependence on obtaining money through begging. It is hard to be so stoic in front of these people, so cold and numb to their plight. On the other side, I was shown great care and genuine concern for my well being by many people, strangers or people working in tourism. Indians took special interest in our travels and were quick to ask how we liked India. If any answer had slight negative undertones, these people took this as an offense equal to treason that we have had a bad time and I am fairly certain that, on the drop of a hat, would make sure that we did enjoy being here if we let them. As one person explained the mentality is that " we (travelers) are guests here and it is important for us to treat you as such." There was such genuine interest in our well being that it was almost smothering.
I don't subscribe to the notion that India is tough place to be. I look back at my earlier musings and apprehension and smile at my preoccupations before coming here. I know that I have come along way; as yesterday we met two English guys who just arrived. They looked as we did when we first arrived: uncertain, timid, lost and exuded a certain oh my god what have we gotten ourselves into vibe. We weren't any different. We imparted as much information, tricks of the trade, to ease their emotional tumult, and in a way, this seemed slightly cathartic. All the frustrations were compiled into hilarious anecdotes and advisories and I have begun to appreciate being here.
I think that I built up the notion that India will change you . I was, and still am, resistant to that idea. This has not been any different that any other place I have been in terms of annoying and enthralling instances. India has strengthened my resolve to go live abroad for more time- I am frothing at the mouth to go to Latin America. Undoubtedly, traveling to India has tested my every fiber and now, I crave a little home cooking. My time here has made me appreciate the little things about being in Australia or in the US, but on the flip side, has made me revise what is important. This has been another fundamental step towards (gulp) maturation. I wouldn't go out on a limb to say I am definitely going to return to India in the near future, but being here has supplied me with more knowledge which would have been ignored by me.
So, it is not with a heavy heart that I leave here- the heaviness can be attributed to the goodies I got for people- I depart with a stronger resolve to continue to test my ability to adapt and understand cultures, but more importantly, understand where I fit in this grand scheme. I know this will all help in the mythical outcome that is something that starts with "J" and rhymes with "OB."
As for the next stop on the Duncan-Hitch train, Chicago. Let's see how re immersion fairs us.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

See you soon. :)