Thursday, April 16, 2009

USA Pit Stop

Well, I am finally better. In a hilarious act of karmic backlash, as I left Delhi, imparting words that weren't a ringing endorsement of India, I began to feel achy, tired and generally not well. India decided that if I did not like the country then feel its wrath. I am here to make amends: India is awesome, just a super place. At no point was I ever frustrated, blown away by noises. It was like a constant skip in the park.
I decided to nip this feeling of general crapiness in the bud by taking a fever reducer before boarding the plane. We had 22 hours of flight time from Delhi to Chicago so I wanted to feel ok- also, taking a fever reducer doubles as a pain masker which is so important for my back and well being. This was the final time I would feel good for 50 hours. I had a tremendous fever, the shivers and had a small band thumping behind my eyes and in my head. I would run the gamut of temperatures: from Arctic to the Sahara. It was, without a doubt, the worst flight I have ever been through. I set the record of trips to the bathroom as I was hydrated to the max. People probably assumed I was drunk as I slumped forward, eyes bloodshot from the pain, taking meticulous steps in the row towards the bathroom.
We arrived in Chicago and I still felt badly to the point where my fever had not subsided. I finally decided that this was not normal and ambled to the doctor's office in Chicago. I am not sure what was a better idea. Be sick in India: treatment would be cheap, but most of the time, I would be a little nervous with the unknown. Or be sick in US: treatment would be above standard and price would be even more above standard. Seeing the bill really makes me redefine my stance on prolonging the getting a job dance.
The storm has passed luckily and I am feeling heaps better. With the Duncans, I have seen Niagara, Motown Museum, a Cubs and Bulls game. Chicago has been a beautiful host for my re-entry. I am happy to be here yet I still feel like an outsider. I am not entirely comfortable being back. I am not ready to blend in again. I can't shake the feeling. It may be, in part, that I know I am going to be leaving soon again, but I feel there is more than knowing that I am transient guest. I am still at a loss of words to expound more, I need more time to mesh again with the US culture to paint the right picture.

1 comment:

mom said...

What the intrepid traveler doesn't say is that he had a flotilla of mothers taking care of him in Chicago- Sam's mom and his own mom! It may be odd for him to be in the US but it is great for us moms that Sam and Alex are at least wandering through.